||We are delighted to invite you to the first Africa Blue Economy Forum (ABEF) 2018, to be held at Radisson Blu Portman Hotel, London, on 7-8 June.
ABEF 2018 is about bold new thinking to accelerate Africa’s structural transformation and create jobs for a young population on the rise.
For decades, the economic contribution of the ocean has been widely undervalued across the globe. It is only recently that oceans have started to become a new focal point in national and international development strategies. In Africa, where 70% of the states are coastal, the ocean is not only a key driver for global trade but also a major source of food and energy. However, its potential is hardly being harnessed.
The blue economy development is an integral part of the African Union’s Agenda 2063. The concept covers both aquatic and marine spaces, including oceans, seas, coasts, lakes, rivers, and groundwater. It includes a wide range of productive sectors, including fisheries, aquaculture, tourism, transport, commerce and trade, shipbuilding, energy, protection, restoration, as well as extractive industries such as underwater mining and offshore oil and gas, provided they are undertaken in a manner that does not cause irreversible damage to the ecosystem.
ABEF 2018 will cover a wide range of topical issues, such as how the blue economy can support the African Union's Agenda 2063; how governments can utilise and promote the blue economy; and opportunities for investors and entrepreneurs.
The forum offers an ideal opportunity for businesses and policy makers to understand, explore and invest in the blue economy, harness its potential and create a sustainable business model for the future.
What to expect?
• 150 visionary speakers, government ministers, inspirational leaders, high-level decision makers and experts from the public and private sectors;
• Presentation of investment opportunities and case studies;
• Two days of networking opportunities;
• Meet and interact with impact investors, decision makers and government officials who drive scalable, sustainable investment in the ocean;
• Discover investment opportunities and emerging blue industries in the ocean economy;
• Build strategic partnerships with the public and private sectors in order to develop sustainable best practices and help shape Africa’s future;
• Engagement with high-profile media.
For more information and registration, please click here.